Social Enterprise Volunteer
Posted 5 months ago
Apply your talents in enterprise, innovation and resourcefulness to make a lasting impact in the humanitarian sector. Street Child is seeking business specialists to lend their skills on our charity's enterprise project in Uganda.
Dates: Very Flexible
Duration: 4-12 weeks
We believe that educating children in the single greatest step towards eliminating poverty. There are 121 million children out of school across the world. Millions more are in school but failing to learn. Street Child is working to provide quality education for children living in the toughest places.
As an Enterprise Volunteer in Uganda, you will be helping us to achieve our work by launching a brand new enterprise project that will become a part of Street Child Commercial: a profit-generating enterprise that helps to fund our in-country programmes. Working closely with our local team, this is an exciting opportunity to apply your skills to a new economic context, and learn from the locals who know it best.
This is a challenging role that requires a high level of responsibility from the start, and offers the chance for you to apply your skills in business innovation and project management.
Responsibilities will include:
- Researching new market opportunities
- Assessing the commercial viability of potential new enterprise projects
- Developing and implementing viable expansion plans alongside the local management team
You will have the opportunity to shape your own experience according to your skills, knowledge and goals. This is a unique chance to make a difference to the organisation and its aim to empower children through education.
A fundraising commitment is also required of successful applicants, for which support will be provided by Street Child UK. For those who reach their targets, there is the opportunity to have the costs of your flights covered. Participants will also be invited to a training day in February 2019, with a senior member of our Programmes Team & the Head of Fundraising at Street Child’s Head Office in London.
- Strong initiative, project management skills and business acumen.
- Experience working on a social enterprise is preferred but not essential
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to plan and implement plans in a structured manner
- Excellent communication skills, fluent English, both oral and written
- Independent and able to make decisions with little guidance
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment
- An interest in Africa, international affairs and/or international development would be of benefit.
Successful applicants must be prepared to live and work in very basic conditions. Once in country there is a fixed daily cost covering accommodation and any work related travel. A more detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for an interview.
A fundraising commitment for the charity is required. Successful applicants will be assigned a fundraising mentor who is on hand to answer any questions or queries you may have as well as providing ideas, advice and support to help you reach your target.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience who have the ability to add strategic value, there is potential to attain a more permanent position with the organisation.