Posted 6 months ago
OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Research and Policy in Development (RAPID)
Salary: £28,015 – £33,419 pa
The UK’s leading independent think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
ODI (www.odi.org.uk) aims to inspire and inform policy and practice to reduce poverty by locking together high-quality applied research and practical policy advice.
The Research and Policy in Development (RAPID) programme at ODI works to improve the integration and use of research-based evidence and local knowledge by policy-makers and practitioners for development impact. We work with researchers, think tanks, civil society organisations, developing country governments and donors.
We are looking for a Communications Officer who will enhance the impact of RAPID’s research on development policy and practice. The Communications Officer will work closely with RAPID colleagues, to produce a range of high quality and innovative programme and project outputs – digital, print and multimedia; coordinate events; and implement the programme’s external and internal communications strategy. There is also scope to provide advice on communications to partners and other organisations in country and remotely, if required.
Other key responsibilities include:
· Supporting development and implementation of the RAPID communications strategy to expand our global reach and influence
· Managing and developing RAPID’s output production and dissemination processes
· Arranging policy engagement events
· Coordinating RAPID’s digital communications, including digital platforms and social media
· Monitoring outputs, messages and potential impact
· Educated to degree level, preferably in the communications field
· Excellent writing, editing and proofing skills, and the ability to summarise research information in clear, web-friendly, non-specialist language
· Experience in publication management
· Digital communications skills and experience, including: content creation; website management; email marketing; strategic use of social media; multimedia; and SEO
· Experience of events organisation, including selecting panellists, preparing briefing and marketing and promotion
· A good grasp of design principles
- Excellent IT and data management skills, including Microsoft Office
- Ability to work collegially with researchers, helping to shape research communications for target audience
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues at all levels of seniority and from different cultures
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Self-starter ability to generate plans and ideas and carry them through to completion
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
· Ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
· Experience of managing relationships with external agencies and freelancers
· Ability to quickly pick up new software and tools; willingness to learn new skills.
Closing date: 24 January 2018
Interview dates: 1 & 2 February 2018
ODI can only sponsor (research/senior) positions requiring a PhD, or where there is a shortage of applications. For this role, it is our anticipation that we will get sufficient applicants from the resident work force and we are obliged to give priority to those who do not need sponsorship when offering a job.
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248