Senior Communications Officer (Events Lead)
Posted 9 months ago
Contract: Fixed-term until December 2020
Salary: £33,420 - £37,051 pa
The UK’s leading independent think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
ODI (www.odi.org.uk) aims to inspire and inform policy and practice to reduce poverty by locking together high-quality applied research and practical policy advice.
We are looking for a Senior Communications Officer to increase the impact of ODI’s research among existing and new target global audiences through the delivery of first-class communications, with a focus on events (60% of time) as well as publications, digital outputs, media and public affairs support (40% of time).
Other key responsibilities include:
- Lead the development, casting and delivery of an ambitious and influential series of events, round-tables and seminars to increase ODI’s impact, in line with agreed strategic objectives.
- Liaise with the Events Manager on upcoming plans and priorities to ensure that the events are coordinated with and complement ODI’s institutional events portfolio and strategy, and adhere to institutional guidelines.
- Monitor external trends, hot topics and emerging agendas and pitch event concepts that place the ODI at the cutting edge of the current news and policy agenda.
- Work with researchers to develop and produce innovative event formats, programmes and materials to communicate expert research and analysis.
- Secure a diverse, high profile and engaging range of speakers, contributors and chairs, and effectively brief them to produce compelling contributions and presentations.
- Support publications planning and production, including: creating and managing production schedules; supporting the development of key messages, narratives and compelling copy; commissioning copyediting, layout and design work; liaising with external suppliers; coordinating with the central publications team; adhering to institutional editorial, brand and style guidelines.
- Support digital and multimedia work, including: managing and delivering digital strategies; managing project websites and social media accounts; creating and updating website content; promoting and disseminating online content (including email marketing); commissioning digital products; sourcing images; supporting researchers to develop blogs and engage on social media; coordinating with the central digital team.
- Support media and public affairs activities, including: proactively seeking external opportunities and generating ideas to amplify research in media news outlets and influence international policy processes.
- Monitoring products, messages and potential impact.
- Substantial experience in a comparable communications post in a busy, fast-paced environment
- First-class track record in delivering influential communications, with demonstrable success in convening high-profile events in the UK and internationally
- Experience of securing influential and high-level panellists and participants
- Experience of coaching/supporting others to present and prepare for high-level events
- Experience of working with international networks and partners
- Experience of wider communications responsibilities (publications, digital, public affairs, media)
- Proven knowledge/experience of risk and resilience research, policy issues and agendas
- Line management experience
- Excellent organisational, prioritisation and project management skills (able to keep your eye on the big picture and yet retain a strong attention to detail)
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Self-starter – able to generate plans and ideas and carry them through to completion, and to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Strong negotiation and diplomacy skills
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship-building skills including the ability to communicate with colleagues at all levels of seniority and from different cultures
- Strong writing skills and ability to summarise research in clear, web-friendly language
- Good knowledge of social media, digital platforms and web content best practice
- Excellent IT and Microsoft Office skills
Closing date: 31st January 2018
Interview date: 12th February 2018