Research Officer / Research Fellow
Posted about 1 month ago
OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Research Officer / Research Fellow
(Private Sector Development/Trade/Macro Economics) International Economic Development Group
Salary: Research Officer: £28,015 - £33,419 per annum
Senior Research Officer: £33,420 - £39,896 per annum
Research Fellow: £39,897 - £50,466 per annum;
Senior Research Fellow : £50,467 - £63,888 per annum;
Principal Research Fellow: £63,889 - £78,538 per annum
The UK’s leading think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
ODI (www.odi.org.uk) aims to inspire and inform policy and practice to reduce poverty by locking together high-quality applied research and practical policy advice.
Our International Economic Development Group (IEDG) aims to influence international and national economic policy relevant for prosperity in developing countries. We undertake high-quality innovative research in areas relevant to contemporary economic policy debates, and make the results accessible to opinion-formers and policy-makers. Our work is organised around four thematic themes:
- Trade and trade policy (WTO and Brexit, Regional Integration, Aid for Trade, value chains)
- Private sector development (FDI and development, entrepreneurial and management capabilities, business environment and market regulation)
- International macro-economics and international finance (capital flows, macro-economic policy, international economic crises)
- Supporting economic transformation (productivity, industrial policy, structural change)
This is an exciting opportunity to join IEDG. We are planning to recruit up to two candidates, one at Research Officer level and one at Research Fellow level to join IEDG and contribute to strategy development, fundraising, research, advisory work and public affairs, helping to drive an innovative programme on international economic development. We are looking especially to develop our work on private sector development, trade and macro-economics.
Your work will develop and deepen IEDG’s programme of work on trade, finance and growth, ideally with an emphasis on private sector development, trade and / or macro-economics.
About the job
- Research and policy advisory work: conducting high-quality applied research
- Fundraising: contributing/attracting funds through bids, including the development of a substantial personal research portfolio
- Public affairs: disseminating and promoting IEDG’s work and ideas through high-level meetings, ODI publications and blogs, and other media.
The successful candidates will have:
- a postgraduate degree in economics or a closely-related discipline (ideally a PhD), including research experience and skills in the area of business, FDI, trade or macro-economics)
- extensive knowledge of key issues and organisations in international economic development
- for the PSD position, extensive knowledge of key issues and organisations in the focus areas of PSD - business strategy and management, market regulation and/or entrepreneurial development – involving business in developing (and ideally also developed) countries
- experience in policy-orientated research, demonstrated by a track record of publications and reports
- first-hand developing-country experience
- strong analytical, quantitative and organisational skills, including the ability to manage a complex and varied workload to tight deadlines
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- demonstrated capacity for policy advisory or public-affairs work, based on an analytical approach, and an innovative and creative communication ability
- demonstrated ability to translate research ideas into fundable projects
- the ability to work as part of a team and support the Head of Programme in people and project management.
Closing date: 13 June 2017